Spam prevention
Bob Crane
Woodland Management Service / Woodland Real Estate, EXP - Stevens Point, WI
Forestland Experts! 715-204-9671

They cover more than fire, generally the contents of the appmt and liability for their actions and the actions of their pets.

Jan 16, 2020 12:44 PM
Caroline Gerardo
Sun West Mortgage Corporation - Newport Beach, CA
C. G. Barbeau the Loan Lady nmls 324982

Rental insurance only covers personal property contents, nothing else. You need riders for loss of use or suffering of any sort. An umbrella can help with those gaps. It is not the same as fire insurance which the landlord is required to carry. Tenant might have no recourse on landlord policy, unless there is some negligence documented. 

Rental like a tenant in single family residential not a business- that's another thing. 


Jan 16, 2020 12:08 PM
Chris Ann Cleland
Long and Foster REALTORS®, Gainesville, VA - Bristow, VA
Associate Broker, Bristow, VA

I have heard it called "contents coverage," but a renter's policy should cover more than that.  Just the other day I learned they can cover loss of the property (like having to stay in a hotel if there were a flood or other situation) and personal injury on the property.

Jan 16, 2020 10:40 AM
Susie Kay
Ultra Real Estate Dallas Fort Worth - Plano, TX
North Dallas Specialist

My insurance agent calls it fire insurance but I've heard people calling it landlord insurance.  It's best to clarify with your insurance agent.  

Jan 16, 2020 12:56 PM
Kathleen Daniels, Probate & Trust Specialist
KD Realty - 408.972.1822 - San Jose, CA
Probate Real Estate

I suggest you get clarification/validation from the company that issues the policy.  

Jan 16, 2020 12:35 PM
Lyn Sims
Schaumburg, IL
Schaumburg Real Estate Agent Retired

time to ask Google I guess.

Jan 16, 2020 10:51 AM
Libby Cousins
Extraordinary Processing - Spokane, WA
Contract Mortgage Processor, licensed in WA

Are you asking if that is all that is covered with renter's insurance or just the name of a specific policy that only covers fires (if you are able to get something like that)?

Jan 16, 2020 10:37 AM
Wayne Martin
Wayne M Martin - Chicago, IL
Real Estate Broker - Retired

To me it is a contents and personal liability policy for the tenant

Jan 16, 2020 12:17 PM
Roy Kelley
Realty Group Referrals - Gaithersburg, MD

Get advice from your trusted insurance agent.

Jan 16, 2020 12:00 PM
Bob "RealMan" Timm
Ward County Notary Services - Minot, ND
Owner of Ward Co Notary Services retired RE Broker

I spent a lot of my morning with my insurance guy MichelleCherie Carr Crowe Just Call...408-252-8900 . I wish I would have seen your question earlier. I always thought they were called "Renters Insurance". Of course I am a renter at my office but that is called business insurance.

Jan 16, 2020 11:32 AM
Fred Griffin Florida Real Estate
Fred Griffin Real Estate - Tallahassee, FL
Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker

  Read every word, front and back.  Remember that the creed of insurance companies is delay, deny, defend.

Jan 16, 2020 04:23 PM
Jeff Dowler, CRS
eXp Realty of California, Inc. - Carlsbad, CA
The Southern California Relocation Dude

No doubt it varies by company, as well as what the policy actually covers.

Jan 16, 2020 02:15 PM
John Juarez
The Medford Real Estate Team - Fremont, CA

The coverage of a rental policy will depend on whether the policy is for the benefit of the owner or for the tenant. In other words, the coverage and type of policy depends on who and what is being insured and who is obtaining the policy.

Jan 17, 2020 05:15 AM
Ryan Huggins - Thousand Oaks, CA - Thousand Oaks, CA
Residential Real Estate and Investment Properties

I typically call them "Landlord Policies", as does my insurance carrier.  They only cover the structure, not contents.  They do go more in depth than just fire though.  I've had them fix water leaks with mold before.  They were even willing to relocate the tenants if their insurance policy didn't cover them.

Jan 16, 2020 10:31 PM
Debe Maxwell, CRS | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | (704) 491-3310 - Charlotte, NC
The right Charlotte REALTOR!

I thought rental property insurance was only for the contents. I also carry insurance on my rental properties - that covers the structure/replacement costs. The tenants carry the renter's insurance.

Jan 16, 2020 07:29 PM
Ron and Alexandra Seigel
Napa Consultants - Carpinteria, CA
Luxury Real Estate Branding, Marketing & Strategy

Looks Like Caroline Gerardo once again has the answer.  A

Jan 16, 2020 01:54 PM