Joan Cox, Denver Real Estate - Selling One Home at a Time (House to Home, Inc.  - Denver Real Estate - 720-231-6373)

Spam prevention
Ajay Pandya
e-Merge Real Estate Unlimited - Columbus, OH
Realtor Ajay Pandya

No - most of the time.

Mar 07, 2018 08:50 PM
Bob Crane
Woodland Management Service / Woodland Real Estate, KW Diversified - Stevens Point, WI
Forestland Experts! 715-204-9671

Have not needed to do that.

Dec 18, 2019 11:19 PM
Dipti Thakkar
LAER Realty Partners - Andover, MA
On a team with Praful Thakkar

If possible, yes.

Jul 25, 2018 11:52 PM
Tony and Suzanne Marriott, Associate Brokers
Serving the Greater Phoenix and Scottsdale Metropolitan Area - Scottsdale, AZ
Haven Express @ Keller Williams Arizona Realty

Not my call - up to the Seller

Jul 19, 2017 05:07 AM
Nina Rogoff
Boston, MA
Wix Websites for Real Estate Agents

It's not up to me to "allow" it. I don't think it's a good idea for many reasons and I would say that to the seller, but I would also recommend they discuss it with their attorney and their home owner's insurance agent.

Mar 19, 2015 03:44 PM
Lillie Painia, ABR,NHC,TAHS,SRS
Lillie L. Painia, Tri-R Realty Group - Missouri City, TX

However, if a seller and a buyer chooses to go that route.  I make sure to obtain  signatures from all parties, with a statement from me saying I DID NOT recommend them to do so and I suggest they consult an attorney......too many liability issues!!!!

Mar 16, 2015 02:41 AM
Lillie Painia, ABR,NHC,TAHS,SRS
Lillie L. Painia, Tri-R Realty Group - Missouri City, TX

HELL NO!!!!!

Mar 16, 2015 02:36 AM
Marty Davis
Maumelle, AR
Getting Houses SOLD


Mar 16, 2015 12:49 AM
Nina Hollander, Broker
Coldwell Banker Realty - Charlotte, NC
Your Greater Charlotte Realtor

It's not ideal, but sometimes that's the only option. And ultimately, it depends on how the seller feels about it. It also depends on what happened at the lender end.

Mar 15, 2015 08:52 PM
Praful Thakkar
LAER Realty Partners - Andover, MA
Andover, MA: Andover Luxury Homes For Sale

Joan Cox it all depends on buyer's and seller's situation. If need be, yes.

However, I'd still prefer that buyers move in after closing only.

Mar 15, 2015 03:19 PM
Joan Cox
House to Home, Inc. - Denver Real Estate - 720-231-6373 - Denver, CO
Denver Real Estate - Selling One Home at a Time

Most of you said NO, and exactly what I said after closing was delayed to Monday.  The Buyer called, Seller was offered $250/day and a $2,000 deposit if they did not close on Monday.   My seller said yes, and had to recommend this was a bad idea.   It is his house, his decision! 

Mar 15, 2015 12:47 PM
Debbie Reynolds, C21 Platinum Properties
Platinum Properties- (931)771-9070 - Clarksville, TN
The Dedicated Clarksville TN Realtor-(931)320-6730

It depends. I try to discourage this at all costs but sometimes it just seems like the whole deal will fall apart if some resolution is not reached. So if that is the case, with strict rules I will work that out.

Mar 15, 2015 12:27 PM
William Feela
Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No.

Depends on.  Not right away if early in the day.  If we can get them closed the next day, I will put them up in a hotel for the night.  I will BILL the loan officer and I have collected.

Mar 15, 2015 11:53 AM
Jeff Pearl
RE/MAX Distinctive / LIC in VA - Lovettsville, VA
Full Service Full Time Realtor

No, that is too risky, although it's up to the homeowner, nit me to make that decision. But I would recommend against it.

Mar 15, 2015 09:20 AM
Inna Ivchenko
Barcode Properties - Encino, CA
Realtor® • GRI • HAFA • PSC Calabasas CA


Only when we receive a notification from the escrow that it is recorded. I understand that both sellers and buyers have plans, they might even have ordered the moving companies. But allowing buyers to move in before closing of escrow is unnecessary risk.

Mar 15, 2015 08:49 AM
Kathleen Luiten
Resort and Second-Home Specialist - Princeville, HI
Kauai Luxury Ocean Home Sales

My advise to my Seller is to refuse the rental due to liability issues.

Mar 15, 2015 07:51 AM
Gabe Sanders
Real Estate of Florida specializing in Martin County Residential Homes, Condos and Land Sales - Stuart, FL
Stuart Florida Real Estate

Maybe, if we get the proper liability waivers set up and signed by an attorney and if the seller is OK with it.

Mar 15, 2015 05:17 AM
Annette Lawrence , Palm Harbor, FL 727-420-4041
ReMax Realtec Group - Palm Harbor, FL
Making FLORIDA Real Estate EZ

I advise the buyer to refer to the purchase agreement and to adise their lender he/she is picking up the cost of interim lodging and storage.

You can not allow your seller to become a victim because the buyer choose the wrong lender. If it's the lender is inhouse with the buyer agent, the agent can contribute to those costs also.

Mar 15, 2015 04:52 AM
Lawrence "Larry" & Sheila Agranoff. Cell: 631-805-4400
The Top Team @ Charles Rutenberg Realty 255 Executive Dr, Plainview NY 11803 - Plainview, NY
Long Island Condo and Home Specialists

No, no, no!

Mar 15, 2015 04:35 AM
Buddy Pope
BEAN GROUP - Bedford, NH

Not wise from a liability standpoint.  Agents do not want to be cooking up hold harmless clauses/contracts or rental agreements that attempt to solve the issues surrounding such circumstances as they are not lawyers, they are RE agents.  Typically the buyers are also just as disgusted at their lender by this point, so sellers need to be aware that not ALL is in the hands of the buyer and therefore NOT to "shoot the messenger," typically the buyer agent.   As pointed out, buyers can usually get a hotel room or similar, but what if the seller needed closing funds in order to buy and was looking for a morning (sell side) closing and then a (same day) afternoon buy side closing? And the seller of the home they were planning to buy.  It is only going to get worse with the new closing/GFE mandates coming- rules around that are not favorable to moving vans.  Pods are  going to be a better solution than moving trucks. Agents also need to be able to protect their commission in a case like this.

Mar 15, 2015 03:46 AM
Susan Haughton
Long and Foster REALTORS (703) 470-4545 - Alexandria, VA
Susan & Mindy Team...Honesty. Integrity. Results.

We have a pre-settlement occupancy agreement that lays out the guidelines very strictly, however, we never recommend it unless it is just absolutely necessary and my experience has been, if you say no, you find the buyer can make other arrangements after all.  Hopefully every buyer has a Plan B and does not show up to settlement with all their early belongings in a moving van. 

Mar 15, 2015 02:35 AM
Ashley Alred
Pullman, WA

My of my sellers WILL NOT allow's pretty rare to see that around my area. Doesn't matter whos fault.

Mar 15, 2015 02:28 AM
Michael Jacobs
Pasadena, CA
Los Angeles Pasadena 818.516.4393

Hi Joan -- in a word - my advice is NO

Mar 15, 2015 02:11 AM
Roy Kelley
Retired - Gaithersburg, MD

That is a fine idea if you represent the buyer. However, if I represented the seller, I would not normally recommend a rental agreement. It is too difficult to evict a tenant if all goes bad.

Mar 15, 2015 01:44 AM
Joe Petrowsky
Mortgage Consultant, Right Trac Financial Group, Inc. NMLS # 2709 - Manchester, CT
Your Mortgage Consultant for Life

Always a tough question. This is where the relationship with the loan officer is crucial. Are we sure the transaction is going close? What conditions are left for the lender to sign off?

Mar 15, 2015 01:14 AM
Scott Godzyk
Godzyk Real Estate Services - Manchester, NH
One of the Manchester NH's area Leading Agents

It depends on the seller and the buyer. If the seller is able to let them, i make sure that everything is all set and there are no outstanding conditions from the buyer to their lender

Mar 15, 2015 01:04 AM
Cindy Davis
SD Home Source Realty - San Diego, CA

It would depend on the seller of course...but I would have reservations about this. Whaat if the deal doesn't close?  How would you handle the liability issues?

Mar 15, 2015 12:46 AM
Raoul Loustaunau
EXP REALTY - Phoenix, AZ

great question Joan ; as the buyers agent that has come up a few times , i try to avoid this i think is a can of worms that i don't want to open . prefer to find a way to work an extension with the listing agent . as for the client not having a place maybe, rent  a hotel , move with family or friends till closing .have a great month

Mar 14, 2015 11:52 PM