Praful Thakkar, Andover, MA: Andover Luxury Homes For Sale (LAER Realty Partners)

Spam prevention
David Popoff
DMK Real Estate - Darien, CT
Realtor®,SRS, Green ~ Fairfield County, Ct

Never, it is up to the buyer, would hate to have a buyer say...

"I wish I bought that house but you said No" 

Aug 11, 2018 06:25 AM
Alan May
Jameson Sotheby's International Realty - Evanston, IL
An offer you can't refuse!

Not loving the word "suggest".  I never "suggest" that buyers back out.

I discuss the findings of our inspection, and help them arrive at a decision.  If they ask my opinion, they'll receive it and I'll tell them what I would do under the same circumstances... but I never "suggest" what they should do.  I help them analyse the findings, make sure they have as much information as possible, and let them arrive at a decision.

It's their house, their money, their decision.

Aug 11, 2018 05:24 AM
Candice A. Donofrio
Next Wave RE Investments LLC Bullhead City AZ Commercial RE Broker - Fort Mohave, AZ
928-201-4BHC (4242) call/text

Not really dude. We marry at leisure around here. We anticipate repairs and expect to be unpleasantly surprised. So 99% of the time, we're pleasantly surprised.

As for mold, this is a low humidity area, low humidity state. We rarely encounter mold unless it was an active leak neglected in high heat for a long time. I have been involved in deals where State/EPA certified remediation pros had to be brought in. They remediate, test, ensure and warranty that as long as there are no remaining conditions to support its return, mold can be eradicated from a home. That's here.

If I was in the Southeast or Pacific Northwest, or your area, where humidity and moisture are much higher, I would be more concerned and would involve environmental experts.

At the end of the day, I'll express my concerns, but if the buyer has resources and this is not their first rodeo, it's their decision. Not mine. Get them with the proper experts to investigate, and if they want to hit it, find them something else.

🎶If I go there will be trouble
but if I stay it will be double🎶

Aug 11, 2018 05:41 AM
Kat Palmiotti
eXp Commercial, Referral Divison - Kalispell, MT
Helping your Montana dreams take root

I always let them know what their options are. If the sellers were already asked to fix something (and they refused), then the options would be to see if the sellers would reduce price OR the buyers could fix it themselves after they own the home, OR they could walk. 

Aug 11, 2018 03:10 AM
Kathleen Daniels, Probate & Trust Specialist
KD Realty - 408.972.1822 - San Jose, CA
Probate Real Estate Services

I do not. I would not suggest buyers back out. We discuss the findings, the cost to repair and a series of other things.  Then they decide ...  the decision is always theirs.  I am the guide, I point out where the piles of dog poop are and I caution them to not step in them.  They get all the information to make an informed decision.  

Aug 11, 2018 08:58 AM
Gabe Sanders
Real Estate of Florida specializing in Martin County Residential Homes, Condos and Land Sales - Stuart, FL
Stuart Florida Real Estate

I never suggest.  I just give them my opinions when asked.

Aug 11, 2018 06:07 AM
Debe Maxwell, CRS
Savvy + Company (704) 491-3310 - Charlotte, NC

Our job is never to suggest but, to educate. Share our knowledge of the findings and the required repairs, the cost associated with said repairs and let the buyers decide.

I'm not a contractor so, I call in the professional! My contractor is on the 'ready' to give my clients an estimate for either specific repairs or the entire list. THEN, they make the decision. 

Aug 11, 2018 08:47 AM
Fred Griffin Florida Real Estate
Fred Griffin Real Estate - Tallahassee, FL
Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker

     Make certain that they understand the health issue, and the problems they will face if they go to Sell the house in the future.  But let the Inspector, Contractor, Structural Engineer, or the mold guy from ServiceMaster "suggest" what they should do.  


Aug 11, 2018 06:52 AM
Wayne Martin
Wayne M Martin - Chicago, IL
Real Estate Broker - Retired

Alan May got this one covered. The decision is their's to make. Just the facts!

Aug 11, 2018 06:24 AM
Bruce Kunz
C21 Solid Gold Realty, Brick, NJ, 732-920-2100 - Howell, NJ
REALTOR®, Brick & Howell NJ Homes for Sale

I, too, agree with Alan May and others who support buyers to make their own decisions, not mine. I'll help them with research, but it's all their option.

Aug 11, 2018 08:16 AM
Thomas J. Nelson, REALTOR ® e-Pro CRS RCS-D Vets
Big Block Realty 858.232.8722 - La Jolla, CA
CEO of Vision Drive Realty - Coastal San Diego

I never suggest it, I take my cues from the buyer, they often "forgive" a house they love.

Aug 11, 2018 08:13 AM
Lyn Sims
Schaumburg, IL
Real Estate Broker Retired

Yep, mold would be the #1 'we are outta here' type of problem. Some sellers don't want to remediate so ???


Aug 11, 2018 05:01 AM
Eve Alexander
Buyers Broker of Florida - Tampa, FL
Exclusively Representing ONLY Tampa Home Buyers

I no longer show homes that have real mold...(Yes, this is Florida)

Don't kid yourself...unless all the walls and cabinets are removed and the place really dries out, remediation won't cut it....the stench/growth comes back...and its UNHEALTHY.  Worse then a meth house.

Been there, done that, when I was naive and uninformed.  I no longer put myself in a position of trying to save the family a dollar and make the kids sick.

I am talking from experience, not from government says it is OK to put amonia in the hamburgers, that rodent hairs in food are OK and GMO food is good for you. 



Aug 11, 2018 04:20 AM
Nina Hollander, Broker
Coldwell Banker Realty - Charlotte, NC
Your Greater Charlotte Realtor

I don't believe I've done it more than three or four times in 20 years.

Aug 11, 2018 04:11 AM
Anthony Acosta -
Harry Norman, REALTORS® - Atlanta, GA
Associate Broker

Not very often. 

Aug 11, 2018 04:11 AM
Sharon & Bruce Walter
Keller Williams Realty Lafayette, IN - Lafayette, IN
West Lafayette homes for sale

Praful, we never suggest they back out.   We  suggest they consult repair/remediation experts to determine successful remediation prospects and costs associated with the repairs so they can make an informed decision should  the sellers refuse to re-mediate the safety issue or material defect.

Our state purchase agreement is written so the seller must have the opportunity to mitigate/repair safety and material defects requested by the buyer.   The buyer could lose their earnest money for walking without giving the seller the opportunity to make satisfactory repairs or mitigation.

Aug 11, 2018 08:58 AM
Bob Crane
Woodland Management Service / Woodland Real Estate, KW Diversified - Stevens Point, WI
Forestland Experts! 715-204-9671

We did a few weeks ago on one.

Aug 11, 2018 06:38 AM
J.R. Schloemer, CRS
Kentucky Select Properties - Louisville, KY

I advise to only do what the buyer is comfortable with doing. If they have a pit in their stomach about it, I will tell them we can keep looking. Depending on your market and what the outlook looks like, & how long the buyers have been looking & their "neediness", there will always be another one.

Aug 11, 2018 06:28 AM
Gary Frimann, CRS, GRI, SRES
Eagle Ridge Realty / Signature Homes & Estates - Gilroy, CA
REALTOR and Broker

Never back out, but encourage a request for repairs.

Aug 11, 2018 06:20 AM
Joe Pryor
The Virtual Real Estate Team - Oklahoma City, OK
REALTOR® - Oklahoma Investment Properties

Just did exactly that.

Aug 11, 2018 05:59 AM
Richie Alan Naggar
people first...then business Ran Right Realty - Riverside, CA
agent & author

No backing out if you properly prepared your client. Actually, we are just getting started...

Aug 11, 2018 05:58 AM
Richard Weeks
Dallas, TX
REALTOR®, Broker

Not that often.  Most investors don't even get an inspection.

Aug 11, 2018 04:51 AM
Gita Bantwal
RE/MAX Centre Realtors - Warwick, PA
REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel

I agree with Kat and. It depends on the contract

Aug 11, 2018 03:54 AM
Michael Jacobs
Pasadena, CA
Pasadena And Southern California 818.516.4393

We discuss options. They talk about cancellation plans and we may discuss other plans. It depends on the buyer. 

Aug 11, 2018 09:31 AM
Michael J. Perry
KW Elite - Lancaster, PA
Lancaster, PA Relo Specialist

Whenever it appears necessary

Aug 11, 2018 07:19 AM
Ron and Alexandra Seigel
Napa Consultants - Carpinteria, CA
Luxury Real Estate Branding, Marketing & Strategy


I think that Alan May has a valid point.  We sat with our clients and have them analyse and decide. 

Aug 11, 2018 07:08 AM
Barbara Todaro
RE/MAX Executive Realty - Happily Retired - Franklin, MA
Previously Affiliated with The Todaro Team

whenever it's necessary.... it depends on the numbers...and the negotiating...

Aug 11, 2018 05:24 AM
Annette Lawrence , Palm Harbor, FL 727-420-4041
ReMax Realtec Group - Palm Harbor, FL
Making FLORIDA Real Estate EZ

My advise to the seller depends on their tolerance, resources, the cost of remediation and the price ceiling of the community.

Stinky is the smell of money. Empty house smells like quicker money.

Since the issue is not going to disappear with me, the buyer simply waits out the seller.

IF the buyer however, is looking to buy the prom queen, this house would not be for them.

Aug 11, 2018 05:14 AM
Valeria Mola
SIB Realty - Miami, Sunny Isles Beach - Sunny Isles Beach, FL
305-607-0709 SIB Realty Condos for Sale and Rent

Never happened to me.

Aug 11, 2018 09:30 PM
Evelina Tsigelnitskaya
SIB Realty - Sunny Isles Beach, FL


I was a buyer. Want it, but after inspection back out. Mold. 

Aug 11, 2018 09:30 PM
Diana Dahlberg
1 Month Realty - Pleasant Prairie, WI
Real Estate in Kenosha, WI since 1994 262-308-3563

I educate my buyers on all the options and let them make the decision ... whatever they decide I am there for them.

Aug 11, 2018 12:56 PM
Lynnea Miller
Bend Premier Real Estate - Bend, OR
Premier Real Estate Service in Central Oregon

I am surprised sometimes that buyers still want the home despite the issues. Often we negotiated seller credits or reduction in the sales price so the buyer can do the work themselves.

Aug 11, 2018 12:22 PM
Carol Williams
Although I'm retired, I love sharing my knowledge and learning from other real estate industry professionals. - Wenatchee, WA
Retired Agent / Broker / Prop. Mgr, Wenatchee, WA

Suggest? No.  Discuss the pros and cons?  Yes.

Aug 11, 2018 11:52 AM
Bob "RealMan" Timm
Ward County Notary Services - Minot, ND
Owner of Ward Co Notary Services retired RE Broker

Never because of a home inspection but on occasion due to a lack of Seller willingness to adjust for the results of the home inspection.


Aug 11, 2018 09:35 AM
Don Baker
Lane Realty - Eatonton, GA
Lake Sinclair Specialist

I don't "suggest" anything other than they know the cost to repair and make the best decision for their family.

Aug 11, 2018 09:04 AM
Doug Dawes
Keller Williams Evolution - 447 Boston Street, Suite #5, Topsfield, MA - Topsfield, MA
Your Personal Realtor®

It depends on the buyer's decision. Many will take care of issues from a home inspection on their own IF it's the house they want

Aug 11, 2018 09:02 AM
Richard Bazinet /MBA, CRS, ABR
West USA Realty - Scottsdale, AZ
Phoenix Scottsdale. Sellers, Buyers & Relocations

It happens...

Aug 11, 2018 06:58 AM
Debbie Reynolds, C21 Platinum Properties
Platinum Properties- (931)771-9070 - Clarksville, TN
The Dedicated Clarksville TN Realtor-(931)320-6730

I don't make the suggestion. I follow their lead, their reactions, their concerns and if they have serious doubts I say they probably should cancel the sale. 

Aug 11, 2018 07:58 PM
Roy Kelley
Retired - Gaithersburg, MD

That decision is made by the prospective home buyers.

Aug 11, 2018 01:53 PM
Inna Ivchenko
Barcode Properties - Encino, CA
Realtor® • GRI • HAFA • PSC Calabasas CA

Depends how much damages, all is negotiable. If seller does not want to cover any of that and there is no space in price, i'd suggest to back up.

Aug 11, 2018 12:37 PM
Tony and Suzanne Marriott, Associate Brokers
Serving the Greater Phoenix and Scottsdale Metropolitan Area - Scottsdale, AZ
Haven Express @ Keller Williams Arizona Realty

David Popoff nailed this one!

Aug 11, 2018 11:29 AM
Sandy Padula & Norm Padula, JD, GRI
HomeSmart Realty West & Florida Realty Investments - , CA
Presence, Persistence & Perseverance

If the need is called for when dealing with unseasoned buyers. It has happened in the past, but not very often.

Aug 11, 2018 10:59 AM
Allie Angeloni
Long Realty - Oro Valley, AZ

Oh, Boy!  If the seller does not want to do a remediation or fix any issues, are they willing to give the buyer a credit towards this - I realize an Estimate from professionals would need to be done, to get a fairly accurate dollar amount.  Maybe that is an option Praful Thakkar

Aug 11, 2018 10:15 AM
William Feela
Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No.

Never, that is their decision

Aug 11, 2018 09:00 PM
Brenda Mayette
Miranda Real Estate Group, Inc. - Glenville, NY
Getting results w/ knowledge & know-how!

Never.  My primary role in this biz is as problem solver.  But if we can't figure out a solution w/ the seller's side to make everyone reasonably happy & safe, they know their rights & I'll support their decision.  How often does it happen you wonder?  Maybe once a year.  

Aug 12, 2018 05:40 AM
Dave Martin (703) 585-4687
Fairfax Realty - Fairfax, VA
Making Realty Dreams a Reality #WeWillGetYouHome

Its up to them regardless of the issues revealed. I educate them on their options and suggest that any serious issues they may want to find out from a professional contractor what the costs are likely to be. 

Aug 16, 2018 05:27 PM
Margaret Rome Baltimore 410-530-2400
HomeRome Realty 410-530-2400 - Pikesville, MD
Sell Your Home With Margaret Rome


When working with a buyer, I suggest before the offer and after the inspection. Buyers are seeking our professional advice...are we afraid to give it?

But...I also find that some investers love "mold!''  They can get a great price because others are so afraid to tackle the problem.

Aug 12, 2018 07:23 AM
Joan Cox
House to Home, Inc. - Denver Real Estate - 720-231-6373 - Denver, CO
Denver Real Estate - Selling One Home at a Time

I don't make those decisions for the buyers.  Offer their options, then they make the decision.

Aug 15, 2018 02:30 PM
Paul S. Henderson, REALTOR®, CRS
Fathom Realty Washington LLC - Tacoma, WA
South Puget Sound Washington Agent/Broker!

it is totally up to my buy

Aug 12, 2018 07:19 PM
Mike Cooper, Broker VA,WV
Cornerstone Business Group Inc - Winchester, VA
Your Neighborhood Real Estate Sales Pro

It's the buyer's decision, but if the HI is really bad and the seller has already made it known he/she will not fix anything, I may explain their options which include leaving the deal. As a contractor, I can assess what the level of real expense it will be. If I think things can be done reasonably, I'll explain that and leave it up to the buyer.

Aug 12, 2018 06:31 PM
John Juarez
The Medford Real Estate Team - Fremont, CA

The decision lies with the buyer. How badly do the want the home? Are they willing to wrap their arms around its deficiencies? Are they offering a fair price give the condition of the house? Advice can be given, of course. You would be negligent if you did not provide your client with advice and alternative pathways. Perhaps the seller will have a change of heard if the specter of cancellation is raised...but the buyer must be willing to make good on the threat.

Aug 12, 2018 05:47 PM
Tony Lewis
Summit Real Estate Group - Valencia, CA
Summit Real Estate Group Valencia & Aliso Viejo

Not very often but for sure if it is a mold problem or foundation.

Aug 12, 2018 03:56 PM
Jeff Dowler, CRS
eXp Realty of California, Inc. - Carlsbad, CA
The Southern California Relocation Dude

No I would not suggest that. It's their money and decision. I'm there to help them understand the issues, and their options, and find the information they need so they can make an informed decision.

Aug 12, 2018 09:10 AM