Jerry Caldwell, Currently managing 6 apartment buildings  (Realty Sales Pros)

Spam prevention
Wayne Martin
Wayne M Martin - Chicago, IL
Real Estate Broker - Retired

They probably do not have the original mortgage either. Ask for documentation to prove their is a balloon. My hunch, they don't have any! 

You also might contact the title company who closed the loan and ask them to search public records for a copy of the recorded document. Good luck!

Sep 14, 2017 07:28 AM
Debe Maxwell, CRS
Savvy + Company (704) 491-3310 - Charlotte, NC

YES, OCWEN needs to verify, as Michael Jacobs said.

I would also verify with your former servicer that THEY are the ones who actually sent you to a new servicer (OCWEN) and to whom they sent you. That scam is rearing its ugly head right now - could be that your servicer didn't sell your paper and someone is attempting to scam you. 

Sep 14, 2017 09:21 AM
Nina Hollander, Broker
Coldwell Banker Realty - Charlotte, NC
Your Greater Charlotte Realtor

Michael Jacobs has one response. Was the mortgage instrument filed in your county courthouse? Perhaps you can retrieve it that way.

Sep 14, 2017 07:24 AM
Michael Jacobs
Pasadena, CA
Los Angeles Pasadena 818.516.4393

Why not ask OCWEN to "prove" it?

Sep 14, 2017 07:16 AM
Jason E. Gordon
CMG Mortgage, San Diego, CA - San Diego, CA

The key form you are seeking is the Promissory "Note" contained in your original loan documents. When Greenpoint sold/transferred the servicing rights to Ocwen, Ocwen essentially "bought the Note" and is tasked with enforcing the terms contained in that document (i.e. Ocwen cannot make up their own terms once they acquire the servicing rights). I recommend contacting Ocwen directly and requesting a copy of the Note. Balloon payments are rarely enforced nowadays and are typically accompanied with other options (i.e. refinance the loan into a brand new 30 year term). Given the low interest rates currently, you might find that to be a suitable alternative. Feel free to contact me at 619-200-8031 or if you would like an objective assessment of your options. Either way, hope things work out for you!  Thank you Thomas J. Nelson, Realtor,CRS,e-Pro for the mention!

Sep 14, 2017 07:54 AM
Sam Shueh
(408) 425-1601 - San Jose, CA
mba, cdpe, reopro, pe

This is EXACTLY the reson one needs to STAY with same mortgage servicer which does NOT get SOLD.  We went through a loan broker who made $ through selling to another one so on through eternity.  The last mortgage company stated that they did not receive the mortage and threaten to impose late fees. I had a statement from Bank of Santa C* manager that the cheques were CASHED by them and they need to keep their records Straight. Two months later I got another threaten letter saying the same.  I sent them a photo copy of cashed cheque by them and mailed in a cashier cheque for balance of mortgage in a package with a brick.  In my letter I stated good ROCK to you. I will send you more bricks if you are out giving us this no-nonsense. This bank in NJ never even apologized that there was any wrong doing. 

One needs to retain HUD1, loan docs even after getting paid off. My parents had a S&L mortgage book it printed out balance, interest until it was paid off showing "0" balance.  That is a legal proof what you have paid off.

Sep 14, 2017 10:01 AM
Libby Cousins
Extraordinary Processing - Spokane, WA
Contract Mortgage Processor, licensed in WA

Ocwen should be able to produce the appropriate documentation if they are the ones stating there is a balloon. You can also call the title/escrow company that you signed with and see if they have a copy. Any title company should be able to do a search for you but typically, only the deed or mortgage is recorded. You are in need of the note so you can verify the terms. With a little luck, the title/escrow company that you closed with kept a copy. 

Sep 14, 2017 09:14 AM
Fred Griffin Florida Real Estate
Fred Griffin Real Estate - Tallahassee, FL
Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker

Title attorney or title company may be of help.

And/or, demand that OCWEN produce the documents to justify this claim.


Sep 14, 2017 09:04 AM
Barbara Todaro
RE/MAX Executive Realty - Happily Retired - Franklin, MA
Previously Affiliated with The Todaro Team

they need to provide a note ..... michael jacobs is right...

Sep 14, 2017 08:31 AM
J.R. Schloemer, CRS
Kentucky Select Properties - Louisville, KY

In my county we have an online database I can search for the deeds and loan documents. If you can't search online, then you probably would want to go to the county courthouse to search for the desired documents. I couldn't find anything for LA County with a quick Google search.

Sep 14, 2017 08:23 AM
Candice A. Donofrio
Next Wave RE Investments LLC Bullhead City AZ Commercial RE Broker - Fort Mohave, AZ
928-201-4BHC (4242) call/text

Make THEM produce the document. I would have that demand sent certified mail from my attorney on their letterhead.

Sep 14, 2017 07:47 AM
Thomas J. Nelson, REALTOR ® e-Pro CRS RCS-D Vets
Big Block Realty 858.232.8722 - La Jolla, CA
CEO of Vision Drive Realty - Coastal San Diego

Contact the lender...Greenpoint I think is still around.

Ask Jason E. Gordon 

Ocwen is the worst! They typically have all the shortsales these days.

Sep 14, 2017 07:38 AM
Caroline Gerardo
Licensed in 20 states - Newport Beach, CA
C. G. Barbeau the Loan Lady nmls 324982

Ocwen is required by law to provide you a copy of the promissory note within 30 days of written request for FREE.  Write to them, call it in and fax it to them. phone 800-746-2936 address: 16661 Worthington Rd Ste 100

West Palm Beach, FL 33409  fax number 866-501-1610

If you have trouble reading the ins and outs send it to me I would be happy to read it and advice for free  

What is interest rate and what is your monthly payment? Easy to tell if you were making a principle and interest payment or interest only Jerry Caldwell 

Sep 14, 2017 12:40 PM
Michael J. Perry
KW Elite - Lancaster, PA
Lancaster, PA Relo Specialist

When You said Ocwen , I said oh no !!!

Try the Courthouse , it should be recorded there .


Sep 14, 2017 11:37 AM
Richard Weeks
Dallas, TX
REALTOR®, Broker

I would ask them to provide the proof.

Sep 14, 2017 08:44 AM
Gabe Sanders
Real Estate of Florida specializing in Martin County Residential Homes, Condos and Land Sales - Stuart, FL
Stuart Florida Real Estate

I have no clue.

Sep 14, 2017 08:30 AM
Joe D'Agostino
NMLS# 729950 - Manahawkin, NJ
Mortgage Officer 46 years!

Check with the local court clerk's office. Many times the mortgage is recorded with the note. Also, see if you have a site where you can download deeds,and records.

Sep 14, 2017 08:11 AM
Jeff Dowler, CRS
eXp Realty of California, Inc. - Carlsbad, CA
The Southern California Relocation Dude

I'm going with Michael Jacobs answer.

Sep 14, 2017 07:40 AM
Jennifer Mackay
Counts Real Estate Group, Inc. - Panama City, FL
Your Bay County Florida Realtor 850.774.6582

I'm with Michael Jacobs on this - proof is in the pudding

Sep 15, 2017 07:39 AM
Susan McCall - - Compass Realty Solutions
Compass Realty Solutions - Portland, OR
Listing and Buyer's Agent

 You had me at OCWEN. Caroline Geraldo gave you the tools.  Do each of the items, every week for 4 weeks.  If you don't get an answer in this amount of time, get your financing going and get out of that loan.  They are required to do all of the above, but that doesn't mean they will.  In the mean time they could ruin your credit rating and will do what they want anyway.  Sounds like they want your money.  Don't even think this corporation plays fair, at least they didn't in the past.  I am speaking from experience with a number of clients I had. Good luck!

Sep 14, 2017 09:19 PM
Bob Crane
Woodland Management Service / Woodland Real Estate, KW Diversified - Stevens Point, WI
Forestland Experts! 715-204-9671

Demand that those characters at ocwen produce the original docs.

Sep 14, 2017 07:33 PM
Lyn Sims
Schaumburg, IL
Real Estate Broker Retired

County recorder can do it for $$. I forgot what it is a page, like $2 here.

Sep 14, 2017 10:41 AM
Joe Pryor
The Virtual Real Estate Team - Oklahoma City, OK
REALTOR® - Oklahoma Investment Properties

Two really fun companies to do business with. They need to be able to prove they have documents to back this up.

Sep 14, 2017 10:09 AM
Mary Yonkers
Alan Kells School of Real Estate/Howard Hanna Real Estate - Erie, PA
Erie/PA Real Estate Instructor

As others have said, request documentation from OCWEN.

Another explanation might be that your loan was amortized as 30 year loan with balloon payment in March 2018.

Sep 14, 2017 09:39 AM
Roy Kelley
Retired - Gaithersburg, MD

Look at the recorded documents.


Sep 14, 2017 07:29 AM
Praful Thakkar
LAER Realty Partners - Andover, MA
Andover, MA: Andover Luxury Homes For Sale

Michael Jacobs has a great response, Jerry Caldwell.

Sep 15, 2017 10:28 PM
Kathleen Daniels, Probate & Trust Specialist
KD Realty - 408.972.1822 - San Jose, CA
Probate Real Estate Services

You have great answers here.  Get a copy of proof from them. 

A deep title search may have related documents hyperlinked to the title report.  Good luck.

Sep 15, 2017 07:51 AM
Jerry Caldwell
Realty Sales Pros - Santa Monica, CA
Currently managing 6 apartment buildings

Thank  you all for the good advice, encouragement and in some cases sly sarcasm. I do appreciate it, all of it, and value the kindness behind many of your comments, even offers to help!  Thank you!


Sep 15, 2017 06:03 AM
Bob Betel
Allstar Home Mortgage, Inc. - Sweetwater, TN
President, Allstar Home Mortgage, Inc

I suggest you call OCWEn and have them send you proof  of the Note. If they tell you this, they must have a record of it. You can also go to the County recorders office and look up the mortgage and maybe the other documents or go online to see if you can view it,

Sep 15, 2017 05:56 AM
Debbie Reynolds, C21 Platinum Properties
Platinum Properties- (931)771-9070 - Clarksville, TN
The Dedicated Clarksville TN Realtor-(931)320-6730

In our state these documents are recorded at the Register of Deeds office. Have you tried seeing if it is public record?

Sep 14, 2017 02:56 PM
Sybil Campbell
Fernandina Beach, FL
Referral Agent Amelia Island Florida

I think Libby Cousins has a good answer.

Sep 14, 2017 02:18 PM
Dave Halpern
Dave Halpern Real Estate Agent, Inc., Louisville, KY (502) 664-7827 - Louisville, KY
Louisville Short Sale Expert

The mortgage will be recorded in the courthouse. The promissory note will not. The closing attorney either has it archived or destroyed by now.

Sep 14, 2017 11:16 AM
Olga Simoncelli
Veritas Prime, LLC dba Veritas Prime Real Estate - New Fairfield, CT
CONSULTANT, Real Estate Services & Risk Management

Could it be recorded with the deed?

Sep 14, 2017 10:55 AM
Patricia Kennedy
RLAH Real Estate - Washington, DC
Home in the Capital

Maybe the title company - at least if it was with a bank or mortgage broker.  Otherwise, you could try your local recorder of deeds.

Sep 14, 2017 09:49 AM
Tammy Lankford,
Lane Realty Eatonton, GA Lake Sinclair, Milledgeville, 706-485-9668 - Eatonton, GA
Broker GA Lake Sinclair/Eatonton/Milledgeville

In my state (Georgia) the security deed is recorded and a matter of public record. It is generally speaking recorded directly following the warranty deed.

Sep 16, 2017 09:05 AM
Sandy Padula & Norm Padula, JD, GRI
HomeSmart Realty West & Florida Realty Investments - , CA
Presence, Persistence & Perseverance

As Wayne Martin wrote.

Sep 15, 2017 08:35 AM
Tony and Suzanne Marriott, Associate Brokers
Serving the Greater Phoenix and Scottsdale Metropolitan Area - Scottsdale, AZ
Haven Express @ Keller Williams Arizona Realty

Wayne Martin nailed this one!

Sep 15, 2017 06:08 AM
Gita Bantwal
RE/MAX Centre Realtors - Warwick, PA
REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel

Good luck.

Sep 15, 2017 04:45 AM
William Feela
Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No.

The copy at the recoders office I would hope

Sep 14, 2017 06:16 PM